Does Epsom salt help weight loss? Epsom salts are known to reduce stress levels and also cleanse the body, flushing it of toxins and excess water. Dr. Oz and a few celebrities have attested to its effectiveness in helping lose weight. Here’s how to use, drink and cleanse using Epsom salt bath for weight loss. Reviews, before and after photos as well as testimonials are included for you.
Epsom salt is also called magnesium sulfate. The salts aren’t salts as indicated technically. They are a naturally occurring compound that is made up of magnesium and also sulfates that originate in England. Magnesium and also the sulfate are absorbed through the skin, into the bloodstream when a person bathes in the Epsom salts.
- Does Epsom salt help weight loss?
- Epsom salt laxative for weight loss
- How to use Epsom salt for weight loss
- Epsom salt weight loss side effects
- Epsom salt bath weight loss results
Does Epsom salt help weight loss?
Does Epsom salt really work in helping weight loss? According to ABC news, Scott Foley revealed how to lose between 10lbs and 12lbs fast using epsom salt and hot water in a bath tub in JUST A DAY!
Magnesium and the sulfates have several effects on the body. Magnesium in particular is an important element which helps the function of enzymes. It equally strengthens the bones and assists to prevent osteoporosis, among several other things. How does Epsom salt help weight loss?
- Epsom salt is a laxative.
- Laxatives help speed up the digestion process, thus, it results in increased bowel movement.
- Increased bowel movement reduces the absorption of food in the body. Digestion may also be less effective.
- The result is weight loss.
- Epsom salt bath is also used for detox.
- Removing free ions, toxins and radicals can help keep the body health and lose weight.
It is very strange to see that the Epsom salt bath is able to be used in reducing of weight. Normally, Epsom salt is also used to get relief when a person is experiencing muscle pain. But, it is also an effectual remedy for used to reduce the soreness and weight.
One of the causes of weight gain is excessive dumping of toxins in the body. Epsom salt have both sulfate and magnesium that are required to get rid of the toxins and also heal the minor injuries.
Epsom salt baths have also been promoted much as a potential weight-loss solution, but this doesn’t imply that they work as required. No scientific proof is on record to recommend Epsom salt for losing weight, according to studies.
Likewise, taking the salts internally isn’t likely to cause lasting weight loss and may actually have some adverse effects on health. Check with the doctor before use of the Epsom salts internally, as doing so isn’t safe for any person.
Epsom salt is widely known for its use to relieve muscle soreness and pain, and may assist you to lose some weight.
Scientifically known as magnesium sulfate heptahydrate, Epsom salt contains several health and cosmetic benefits. By assisting you to detoxify successfully, Epsom salt has a value in re-balancing of the body, so it is able to deal with any excess weight, reduce the appearance of the cellulite and also make a person to be healthier and fit.
Epsom salt laxative for weight loss
Epsom salts have been used internally as a laxative. The salts normally bind with the water from the body so as to make stool to be softer to pass, potentially assisting to treat constipation. As with the Epsom salt baths, any weight loss is likely water weight and not always the fat loss that you’re trying to achieve so as to assist you to slim down.
Internal use of the Epsom salts can lead to side effects, which include nausea, diarrhea and also vomiting. They might also interact with some medications and be much unsafe for the people who have health conditions, including kidney disease and also the diabetes.
Use of laxatives for the weight loss may lead to potentially irreversible damage to the body e.g.
- A slower metabolism
- Laxative dependence
- Electrolyte imbalances.
How to use Epsom salt for weight loss
There are various ways of using Epsom salts to lose weight. Some people recommend drinking it or using it internally. Others recommend taking an Epsom salt bath to lose water weight. According to controversial celebrity Stott Foley:
Drink a ton of water — as much as you can — don’t eat anything, get in a sauna, sweat it out. When you get home, get in a bath, as hot as you can take it. You fill it with Epsom salt and really hot water — like 20 lbs. of Epsom salt so it’s so salty that the salt doesn’t even dissolve. That’s going to suck all this water out of your body. You could drop 12-15 pounds by tomorrow morning.”
1. Epsom salt bath for weight loss
Celebrities and also the athletes try to lose weight sometimes by mentioning the use of the Epsom salt baths so as to slim down, but the baths aren’t likely to cause any lasting weight loss.
More likely, any small amount of the weight that you lose through the use of baths is directly from the hot water of the bath, which can lead to sweating and also the water weight loss. This water weight is going to come back once you’re hydrated.
Spending a lot of time in the hot baths can also lead to lightheadedness, and then repeatedly going through the process could have lasting side effects on health, including weakened bones and also the disruptions to your menstrual cycle. Nonetheless, here’s how to make Epsom salt to lose weight.
How to Make Epsom Salt Bath for Weight Loss
- Start slowly by adding a tablespoon of the epsom salt to the bath water daily.
- Slowly increase the amount of the salt to two cups.
- Soak in the bath for a period of about 20 minutes and then unwind. Don’t stay in the bath for longer period of more than 25 minutes or you may end up exhausting yourself.
- Bring with you enough amount of water and make sure that you rehydrate well during and after a hot bath.
If you start with the big quantities without a gentle introduction, you can easily suffer from some adverse symptoms of a quick detox like irritability, mood swings or even the hyperactivity. Some people suggest that doses of above 550 grams don’t bring any effects, so don’t try to overdo it.
If you find a daily bath to be a lot for you, then reduce it to about three times a week. The opinions that regard on what a perfect frequency are mixed, so listen to the body’s responses and then try to adjust. Other special Epsom salt bath recipes include the following:
Epsom salt and baking soda
Baking soda is a very strong body cleanser and normally detoxes the body. Some people suggest that it can be used if a person is suffering from heavy metal overload or even the nuclear poisoning. It normally binds with the uranium and all other toxic chemicals as well as alkalizes the body. Baking soda contains several applications as a kitchen medicine.
- For a weight loss bath, follow the slow approach that is described above.
- Then, mix at least a cup each of the baking soda and also the Epsom salt into the bathing water.
Epsom salt and ginger to lose weight fast
Ginger usually opens up the pores and thus allows a person to sweat and release a large amount of toxins. This treatment is able to work better some ginger is added to it in very hot water.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of the crushed fresh ginger that is in hot water.
- Follow it with about 2 cups of Epsom salt (or even less if you are starting with the regimen).
- Immerse yourself in the healing water and enjoy up to a period of about 30 minutes.
Epsom salt and apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is indicated for its beneficial effects that it has on metabolism and the skin. Here’s how to mix it with epsom salt to lose weight fast.
- Mix a cup of the vinegar or even the white vinegar with about 1/2 cup the Epsom salt into a hot bath water.
- Soak in the vinegar bath for no longer than a period of 20 minutes.
Essential oils and Epsom salt baths
Some people like to add an amount of preferred essential oil to the Epsom salt bath to make things work faster. This is able to increase the soothing as well as the relaxing effects.
- Add about 20 drops of the essential oil for a standard size tub.
- Use the lavender as it’s proven so as to induce relaxation.
If you experience any adverse side effects when using magnesium sulfate as a slimming agent, stop using it immediately and consult your doctor.
2. Drinking Epsom salt to lose weight
Epsom salt is a naturally occurring mineral which is made up of the oxygen, hydrogen, sulfur as well as the magnesium. Consuming it usually creates a much laxative effect by relaxion of the digestive muscles. Epsom salt can also be used to perform a liver detox.
You’ll be required to schedule about 2 days for the detox, one for the process and another day for resting. Halt any given medication or even any supplementation for the 2 days before the detox.
Ensure that you take a no-fat breakfast and also a no-fat lunch on the day of the detox. You might also eat vegetables, cooked cereal and also honey. Stop any kind of eating or drinking by 2 p.m., as recommended by Hulda Clarke.
- Mix about 4 tablespoons of Epsom salt for weight loss into about 3 cups of water.
- Place the mixture in a container in the refrigerator.
- Place a cup olive oil and a large pink grapefruit on the counter so that they are able to warm.
This procedure is adapted from Hulda Clarke.
- Drink about 3/4 of a cup of the Epsom salt mix at around 6 p.m.
- Add some amount of vitamin C powder so as to make it taste better, if needed.
- Drink another serving of the mix at around 8 p.m., according to the indicated Clarke’s method.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of the olive oil and also 1/2 cup of the squeezed grapefruit juice into a small jar.
- Shake the mixture very well.
- Attempt to do a bowel movement before taking the mixture.
- Take the drink at around 10 p.m. Stand as you drink it.
- Also take about 4 Omithine capsules along with the 10 p.m. drink.
- Lie down with the head elevated on the pillows right after you finish the drink.
Then sleep overnight.
- Drink another about 3/4 cup of the Epsom salt for weight loss.
- Mix upon waking up in the morning.
- Take a final 3/4 cup of the Epsom salt mix about 2 hours later.
- Wait for about 2 hours so as to eat. Start with the fruit juice only.
- Add fruit after about half-hour
- Eat light foods an hour later.
- Consume whey powder in the day so as to replenish the lost bile salts.
- Ensure that you eat a regular dinner.
Be prepared as you might have to go through some diarrhea.
Warnings: See the doctor before stopping the medications or even starting to undertake an Epsom salt cleanse.
3. Body wraps
Body wraps have a number of benefits on the skin and body. From helping you slim to moisturization and exfoliation, you can make epsom salt body wraps that will aid in losing weight fast.
- Add 4 cups of boiled water and some epsom salt in your sink.
- Stir to dissolve the sea salt well.
- Soak an old sheet in the mixture.
- Mix almond oil and olive oil, and massage it into your body, paying attention on areas you want to lose fat.
- Wrap yourself with the old sheet, but leave your neck, head and arms free.
- Wrap a plastic sheet of paper on top of the sheet. Use bandages to keep it tight.
- Lie down on an old blanket and maintain warmth.
- Remove after 30 to 45 minutes.
Make an epsom salt body wrap to get the following benefits other than losing weight.
Detoxify the body
Detoxify the body to rid free radicals and harmful chemicals as well as pollutants that people ingest or even absorb through the skin daily. This might be accomplished by use of sea salt or even the epsom salts, (salts normally pull water from the body) essential oils, as well as any other organic ingredients like the green tea with some amount of caffeine so as to stimulate circulation.
Cacao powder has a small amount of caffeine in it contrary to what most of the people think, but it contains a lot of anti-oxidants. So as the pores are opening up thus drawing out the toxins, it’s also allowing for the absorption of the anti-oxidants that assist to fight free radicals.
Exfoliate the skin
By use of a combination of the course salt and also other organic ingredients is able to greatly improve the appearance of the skin by sloughing off the dead skin cells and also revealing the younger skin that is below the skin surface. It can as well improve some of the skin conditions like the acne.
Use of the organic skin lotions or even the ingredients like the raw organic coconut oil is able to greatly add some amount of moisture to the skin and assists with the regeneration of the skin cells.
Adding a heat source can intensify the moisturization process by opening up of the pores so as to allow an absorption.
Make a home spa day if you are able to. Relax and read while you sit with the heating pad. Some of the people can stay active when they are in the wraps, but it is preferred to sit still with thoughts and sip some amount of water. Avoid the temptation that can make you to relax and also drink the alcoholic beverages.
5.) Quick Cellulite and also the weight fix. Overall, you will be losing water weight, so definitely you will weigh less. The appearance of the cellulite is affected through giving the skin a toned appearance. Both of the benefits are very much temporary.
It’s the compression as well as the heat that bring the result. Please be very much careful not to wrap to the point where you are not able to breath. This may lead to severe circulatory problems.
Epsom salt weight loss side effects
You may and should anticipate the following side effects when using epsom salt to lose extra weight.
1. Diarrhea, bloating and nausea
In most of the cases if applied as directed, Epsom salts do not have any medical risk or even the harmful results. But, possible common side effects of the use of the Epsom salts might happen when the substance is taken internally, be it being taken orally or taken as an enema.
Used as a laxative, Epsom salts is able to have many side effects:
- Diarrhea and also cramping
- Excess gas accompanied with the bloating
- Excess thirst due to dehydration
According to some doctors, Epsom salts should be applied as a laxative for no longer than a week. Overuse of the laxatives might make the bowel functions much dependent on them.
2. Magnesium toxicity effects
Excessive use of Epsom salt for weight loss intake can cause the magnesium overdose which is much considered a medical emergency. Possible overdose of the salt symptoms, according to doctors, can consist of the following:
- Flushed skin
- A drop that is in blood pressure
- A slowed heartbeat
Other potential overdose indications include nausea accompanied with vomiting, and also the reduced awareness or even the drowsiness. Eventually, the most serious cases can lead to coma or death. Get emergency treatment if any of the above symptoms seem to appear.
3. Negative drug Interactions
People who are taking antibiotic medications for instance, ciprofloxacin or even the nitrofurantoin, shouldn’t take the Epsom salts until they are cleared by a doctor. The same is applied for patients who are taking digoxin or even the digitalis, which is a cardiac medication.
Finally, all the pregnant women are supposed to consult their obstetrician if they’re in need of taking Epsom salts. Although no evidence is provided with regard to birth defects, it’s a perfect health practice that you check with a doctor first.
Epsom salt bath weight loss results
Epsom salts for weigh loss indicates a crystallized form of the magnesium sulfate, which is a naturally occurring compound that has several health benefits. It’s an over-the-counter product applied as a home remedy bath for the aches as well as the pains. Epsom salts are a natural laxative but its applications don’t stop there.
Epsom salts are applied in the cases of asthma, diabetes as well as the fibromyalgia therapies; and in improvement of the functioning of the cardiovascular and also the nervous systems. Magnesium can also improve the serotonin binding, which is a mood-elevating brain chemical which creates positive feelings.
If you have any health condition, more especially an issue with high or even the low blood pressure, check with the doctor if the bath is very safe for you. If you are also pregnant or experiencing a kidney disease, then avoid the Epsom salts altogether.
Be very much careful if you’re new to the hot baths. If the temperature is very much high or you stand up suddenly, then you could faint. It is then preferred not to take a bath if alone in the house in the case this occurs. Make sure to take a full bottle of water with you in case you are so much dehydrated.
Sources and references
- How to Make Epsom Salt Bath for Weight Loss: http://www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/epsom-salt-bath-for-weight-loss/
- The Benefits of an Epsom Salt Bath for Weight Loss: https://www.healthambition.com/epsom-salt-bath-weight-loss-benefits/
- Epsom Salt Weight Loss: Relax & Lose Weight: http://www.livin3.com/epsom-salt-weight-loss
- How to Drink Epsom Salts for a Detox: http://www.livestrong.com/article/98960-drink-epsom-salts-detox/
- Do It Yourself Body Wrap It Works: http://thekitchenprescription.com/2014/09/01/do-it-yourself-body-wrap-it-works-2/