Pimple scabs form when you keep picking the pimples and bumps on your face. Scabbing is a stage of healing wounds.
The best way to heal the wounds is to avoid touching, squeezing and scratching acne spots and bumps. But it is never simple given the pimples can be itchy or painful.
- Popped acne scabs can start to bleed or ooze.
- A yellow fluid is likely an infection on the pimples.
- Redness is also a sign of serious irritation.
- If you continue to pop and pick the acne spots, your pimple scabs won’t heal or go away.
So, before you try to get rid of acne scabs, it is important to know what is causing them.
What causes acne scabs?
Small crusts on the face are majorly caused by popping, squeezing and opening up acne zits and pimple bumps.
When you open up a big pimple, it is unlikely that you will be able to cover up the scab with makeup. As a result, the scab won’t heal. If it does, it will take long to go away.
Infected pimples and zits are also likely to form crusts especially when they break and start oozing. As they heal, they crust over and start scabbing. If you pick them further, they will form big wounds and leave acne scars on your face.
So what should you do to heal a pimple that turned into a scab quickly?
How to get rid of pimple scabs
Keeping the wounded pimples soft and moist can really help them heal overnight or fast enough. The natural healing process can take a little more time, but it may make the bumps go away without leaving black spots on your face.
Another basic rule for faster healing is not to scratch or pull off the crusty parts. This will cause further wounding. Here are other ways to get rid of acne scabs fast and naturally. Try these home remedies.
1. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is well known and widely used because of its antiseptic properties. When applied to the crusty zits, it helps prevent infections. This remedy is also used on cuts and wounds. You can opt to use the gel or oil. Both will give quick relief.
- Put a few drops of tea tree oil onto a clean cotton ball.
- Apply it on your face especially on the scabbing areas.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and splash warm water.
- Repeat this twice a day to get rid of scabs faster.
When applying tea tree oil remedy, be gentle. Applying too much pressure will break the scabs and cause even bigger wounds.
2. Aloe vera
Aloe vera has many health benefits for skin. These include hydration, soothing irritated skin and healing cuts and wounds.
Natural aloe vera gel contains Auxin and Gibberellin hormones. These help in healing wounds faster. They also provide anti-inflammatory benefits to the skin. This makes aloe vera a good remedy to cure acne scabs and redness easily.
Here’s how to use it:
- Obtain a fresh, succulent aloe vera leaf.
- Squeeze it to obtain the fresh aloe vera gel.
- Apply a thick layer of the gel on the scabbing pimples.
- Leave it on your face overnight.
- Wash your skin with lukewarm water in the morning.
Other than getting rid of popped pimple scabs, aloe vera gel can also help lighten black spots that form due to acne. This is beneficial if you have hyperpigmentation marks from acne breakouts.
3. Warm compress
Warm compresses help speed up the healing of wounds. How does it work? Warm compresses help improve blood circulation in the affected area.
To heal acne crusts quickly, immerse a clean face towel or a washcloth in warm water. Squeeze it to get rid of the excess water then apply it on the affected area.
Allow the warm washcloth to sit on the scabbed area for about 5 minutes. Repeat the procedure twice a day to facilitate faster healing. Do not use a very hot compress. It will weaken the crust and expose the wound beneath.
4. Do not pick pimples and acne zits
Disturbing acne zits and crusts is a sure way of getting them to turn into wounds. Picking and popping them affects their healing time, making them take a lot longer to go away.
Even if you have scars that won’t go away, ensure that you exercise restraint to prevent them from getting infected and scabbing over.
Your fingernails may have bacteria and other microbes. If you keep touching the itchy bumps and pimples, you may end up with an infection on your face.
- Allow the initial blood clot on your pimples to remain and form into a crust. It will protect your wounds and help them heal faster.
- Eat a balanced diet to help your wounds heal faster.
- Vitamin D, C and E in your diet can help your acne scabs heal faster.
If your zits are itchy, try applying a natural antihistamine to help relieve and soothe the itchiness. This will help you avoid popping and picking them.
Wounds heal a lot faster when you apply Vaseline petroleum jelly to them. It helps keep the pimple wounds clean and moist.
Apply a good layer of Vaseline on your face, chin or nose to give the crusts covered and moist. Moist crusts are less itchy.
Popped pimple scabs are also prone to infections. Applying Vaseline on them helps protect them from an infection.
Honey has amazing healing qualities. You can use it to get rid of acne scars as well as the crusts that form during the healing process.
It is a good moisturizing agent that has many other benefits. The benefits include anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antifungal properties. If you get scabs because of popping acne bumps due to their itchiness, honey is your go-to natural remedy.
Here’s how to use honey to get rid of pimple scabs fast.
- Cleanse your face well.
- Pat it dry with a clean towel.
- Apply a small amount of manuka honey on the face. You can mix it with your moisturizer.
- Dress your acne wounds with a hydropolymer dressing.
- Leave it overnight to heal crusts faster.
The dressing will help absorb the pus exuded from the facial sores. A dry but fairly moist area will heal faster compared to a dry and itchy one.
7. Baking soda (removing scabs)
Baking soda is a home remedy for many things including hormonal acne. It promotes faster healing due to its antibacterial properties. You can apply it on your face to remove pimple spots and sores.
- Put a little baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- Add a small amount of water.
- Mix to make a consistent paste.
- Dress your scabbed areas with this paste to ensure you cover the scabs.
Do this once a day to remove the scabs. You can apply this remedy as an overnight treatment.
8. Antibiotic treatment
Apart from using the home remedies discussed above, antibiotic treatments can help cure infected acne and pimple scabs.
Over-the-counter medications such as Neosporin and polysporin are good in getting rid of scabbed spots on the face, lips, chin and nose.
How to cover pimple sores
If you want quick results, covering with makeup is your remaining option for a clear face.
But what is the best way to cover popped pimple sores on the face? Use mineral makeup because of two reasons:
- Mineral makeup is healthier than traditional makeup that contains preservatives such as chemical dyes, parabens and fragrances.
- Used with a dense brush, it can cover up the spots much better.
When covering up with makeup, ensure that you use a moisturizing foundation to keep things moist and less itchy. Otherwise you will end up scratching and picking the pimples again and causing the scabs to bleed.